TORONTO – Metro Toronto Convention Centre (MTCC) has won the 2020 Tourism Industry Association of Ontario (TIAO) Award of Excellence for Sustainable Tourism. The award is presented to organizations that contribute to practices and promotion of sustainable tourism in Ontario.
Sustainability is in the forefront of MTCC’s corporate culture. MTCC has implemented corporate wide programs and practices that include:
- Diverting 90% of event waste from landfills to be recycled or donated to local charities, year over year. Charity partners include Scott Mission, Margaret’s Housing and Community Support Services, and the TDSB’s student nutrition program.
- MTCC was the first Canadian convention centre to offer renewable power.
- MTCC was the first convention centre in North America to use the app Voyage Control during move in and move out to help reduce CO2 emissions.
- Maintaining rooftop beehives and a rooftop food garden.
- Sourcing roughly 65% of food and beverage items locally.
“We are very pleased to be recognized for operating a world-class facility that is committed to sustainability” said Lorenz Hassenstein, President and CEO at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. “At the MTCC, we help our customers plan successful events – and we believe success also means operating ethically, reducing our environmental footprint as much as possible, and making a positive impact in our community. We would like to thank TIAO for working hard to support tourism during this challenging time and our customers for contributing to the success of our sustainability programs.”
To read the full press release, click here.
Leave a Reply