2017 was a good year for Meetings Mean Business Canada (MMBC).
In a letter to the industry, Grant Snider, president and CEO of Meeting Escrow Inc., and the 2017 chairperson of MMBC, reports that the board has met the objectives and success drivers set out in January 2017.
As of December 2017, MMBC had:
- more than 100 CEOs, presidents, general managers and other senior industry executives signed on as supporters with new supporters joining every week;
- $100,000+ in early financial and in-kind funding with many more organizations wanting to know how they can support the cause;
- successfully rebranded from the Business Events Coalition of Canada (BEICC) to Meetings Mean Business Canada, under a licensing agreement with Meetings Mean Business USA for the “MMB” brand;
- a new website (www.meetingsmeanbusiness.ca) and active social media (@MtgsMeanBizCa) presence supported by its agency, SoolNua;
- strong relationships with the senior leadership of key industry associations and coalitions outside Canada, including Meetings Mean Business USA; American Society of Association Executives (ASAE); Business Events Canada (which has endorsed the coalition); Destinations International; Events Industry Council; IMEX: Meeting Professionals International (MPI); Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA); SITE Global; and more.
- excellent relationships with the senior leadership of key players in the data/economic impact space such as SimpleView, Tourism Economics, HLT Advisory;
- a signed agreement with the Tourism Industry Association of Canada (TIAC) with the transition of our secretariat to TIAC’s Ottawa headquarters well underway;
- the next phase of MMBC’s relationship of TIAC under review following intensive discussions at the recent TIAC 2017 Congress;
- and a solid 2018 Executive Team, Board and Advisory Council, recently elected.
This year, Heidi Welker, senior vice-president of Business Development and Industry Partnerships, Freeman Audio Visual Canada, takes over from Snider as chairperson of the coalition. Other members of the executive leadership team are:
- Vice-Chairperson – Clark Grue, president & CEO, Calgary TELUS Convention Centre
- Secretary/Treasurer – Reggie Lang, manger, Business Development Groups, Conventions & Incentive Travel, WestJet
- Past Chairperson – Grant Snider
- Meetings Mean Business Canada Gains Industry Support
- Meetings Mean Business Canada Elects 2018 Executive Team
- BEICC Rebrands as Meetings Mean Business Canada