More than 540 registered event professionals gathered from January 12-14 at Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria in Rome, Italy, for the SITE + MPI Global Forum.
The forum marked the first time the Society for Incentive Travel Excellence (SITE) and Meeting Professionals International (MPI) partnered to host a global event to share industry trends, offer innovative education and provide a collaborative yet exclusive environment for networking and business exchanges.
Attendees came from around the world: 55 percent from Europe; 34 percent from North America; and 17 percent from Central/South America, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Twenty-five percent were planners/buyers; 68 percent were members of MPI, SITE or both associations; and 25 percent were first-time attendees of either an MPI or SITE conference.
These attendees enjoyed networking events as well as a education roster with more than 30 sessions and separate tracks for incentive travel and meetings management professionals.
Other highlights of the event included:
- SITE and MPI signing declaration on future cooperation and collaboration to benefit global MICE industry.
- Nearly 200 participants attended MPI Foundation’s Rendezvous fundraiser and networking event, which raised more than $19,000 USD (more than €15,000).
- MPI announcing its European Meetings and Events Conference would be held in The Hague, The Netherlands in 2019.
- SITE announcing its 2019 Global Conference will be in Bangkok, Thailand.
- Didier Scaillet’s introduction as the new SITE Chief Excellence Officer.
- SITE Crystal Awards showcasing incentive travel excellence.
- SITE announcing Chapter of the Year and Excellence award winners.
- SITE launching mid-level certificate program (CITP) for incentive travel professionals.
- SITE Foundation previewing study of Economic Impact of Incentive Travel Programs in four European destinations.