“When people think of Cineplex they typically think of our film exhibition business, but I’m excited to show the Winnipeg community that we’re about more than movies,” said Ellis Jacob, president and CEO, Cineplex. “The Rec Room leverages our industry-leading entertainment, amusement gaming, food and beverage, digital media and operational capabilities that combines will bring an entirely new, technology-enhanced destination to the city.”
Seasons of Tuxedo is a 100+ acre, mixed-use development in southwest Winnipeg. It includes shopping (Outlet Collection Winnipeg), restaurants, auto dealerships, services, a hotel and residential buildings.
Slated to open in 2019, The Rec Room is being built with the support of North American Development Group/Centrecorp as part of its multi-million dollar development project. Covering 40,000 square feet, The Rec Room will include:
- Canadian-inspired cuisine in an upscale casual dining restaurant as well as “eatertainment-style” dining options in the games area;
- an attractions area with more than 110 amusement games (credits earned are tracked on RFID wristbands and can be redeemed for fun prizes at a redemption store);
- classic games like air hockey, pool and ping pong;
- feature attractions such as luxury bowling, virtual reality, and axe throwing;
- bar area with huge HD screens;
- guest experience that integrates the latest in technology and gamification coupled with SCENE, Cineplex’s rewards program;
- a performance space that can be used to host live entertainment;
- and multiple private dining rooms.
Cineplex plans to open 10 to 15 new locations of The Rec Room in the coming years, each ranging in size from 30,000 to 60,000 square feet and customized to the individual community. The entertainment complexes will devote half of the space to dining and live entertainment, and the other half to amusement games and feature attractions.
Cineplex currently operates four locations of The Rec Room in South Edmonton (AB), West Edmonton Mall (AB), Calgary (AB) and Toronto (ON). In addition to the Winnipeg location, the company has announced plans for complexes in London (ON), Mississauga (ON), St. John’s (NFLD) and Vancouver (BC).