Cineplex Entertainment has announced plans to build a two-storey dining and entertainment complex in Deerfoot City (formerly Deerfoot Mall), Calgary, Alberta. Scheduled to open in December 2016, The Rec Room™ is a nearly 50,000-square-foot “social destination” designed to appeal to young adults and families, while also serving as a unique venue for corporate parties and events. Deerfoot City will be The Rec Room’s second location. The first is slated to open in Edmonton, Alberta, this spring.
“The Rec Room is a social destination that brings together an incredible dining, amusement gaming and entertainment experience all under one roof,” said Pat Marshall, vice-president, Communications and Investor Relations at Cineplex Entertainment. “Cineplex is leveraging its industry-leading entertainment, amusement gaming, food & beverage, digital media and operational capabilities to bring an entirely new, technology-enhanced experience to the Calgary community.”
Developed with the support of Shape Properties, The Rec Room is expected appeal to young adults and families, while also serving as a venue for corporate events and parties. Some features of The Rec Room include:
• A large attractions area that will boast an assortment of amusement games and interactive feature attractions alongside recreational activities like pool, shuffleboard and ping pong.
• Multiple dining options including an upscale casual restaurant featuring an open kitchen and a contemporary menu as well as “eatertainment-style” dining concepts in the games area. Menus will feature Canadian-inspired cuisine and shareable comfort foods prepared in new ways.
• A guest experience that integrates the latest in technology and gamification coupled with SCENE, Canada’s leading entertainment rewards program.
• An expansive, multi-level patio will feature outdoor fireplaces and bocce ball courts.
• A bar area with a massive high-definition screen
• An auditorium-style space suitable for live entertainment, corporate presentations, awards ceremonies and more.
“We are very pleased that Cineplex Entertainment has chosen our redevelopment of Deerfoot Mall into Destination: Deerfoot City as the location to build The Rec Room in Calgary,” said Darren Kwiatkowski, executive vice-president, Shape Properties. “The premier social and entertainment experience that The Rec Room will deliver is uniquely aligned with Shape’s vision for the property and the perfect anchor for Deerfoot City’s new restaurant and entertainment district.”
Construction is scheduled to begin in the spring for Calgary’s newest entertainment destination. Cineplex plans on opening several more locations of The Rec Room nationally over the course of the next few years.